Sunday, January 19, 2014

Spring Will Come

Spring
Gillian Cornwall, c. April 2011

Midway through the long walk into February and the short walk from my home to the bus stop on my way to work, I gaze up through the limbs of the plum tree and spy the first blossoms of the season. In those gasps of pale pink amid the barren branches, I find hope; there is rebirth. The mother of the earth is pushing forth the fruit of her labours and I pause, to revel in the sight of it, in the pure miracle of being present to see it. 

Recently, several friends have had their children lose a classmate to suicide and I wonder when and how those young people lost all hope. I cry with the sadness I feel, knowing they will never see another burst of blossom in the spring. Other friends struggle with children with cancer, praying and working ceaselessly to save a life from a shape-shifting monster. Different causes but all loss, all tragic.

When I think of the lives of children lost through suicide, through anxiety and depression or as a result of bullying or mental illness, I feel helpless. I cannot imagine the devastation rained down on families who suffer this loss. Are there more than ever before? It seems so - or is it possible we are just talking about it more? It is no longer as closeted away with shame as it once was. 

I don't know. I have no new ideas to offer as to why or how to fix this tragic epidemic. I do know that I wish every being knew they are loved and that they are deserving of love, of life, that we all have potential in every cell of our beings to make the world beautiful, if solely as a witness to the first blossom bursting forth as the season changes to birth, to life, to Spring. This is enough.

In loving memory of all those who lost hope and with love to those of you feeling lost or alone. The universal energy is one, equal and beautiful in the inhalation and exhalation of life. We are all valid and necessary and perfect in our path. Trust in this as we trust in the seasons. Trust in the change of your circumstances. Things will change. It gets better. 

These organizations offer help. Have a look. Let us hold lanterns to light the paths of those who are struggling in darkness. 





Beacon Hill Park and the Olympic Range
Gillian Cornwall, c. April, 2011

-Gillian Cornwall, c. January 19, 2014

4 comments:

Hotel_Goddess said...

I just heard of a friend's child being victim to a friend's suicide. It is a shocking reality often from not "fitting the mold" of school. I believe we have to change the system before we can experience real change.

Gillian said...

I agree completely. I remember, all too well, the pain of difference in the secondary school environment. The silence I had to keep, the wish it were over. I'm so glad that my curiosity for what life would hold when I got through it kept me going. We need to be present, be listening and vocalize the need for change, for acceptance, and the celebration of difference. Thanks for reading!

MARIJKE said...

Although my brother wasn't a child when he killed himself, the pain to that type of loss is all too strong. And my thoughts, as his big sister, often go back to the heartbreaking knowledge that he suffered is much before taking the final step.

Gillian said...

I know it sounds trite, Marijke, but it truly is so hard on those of us that remain. Thank you for sharing your story here and thank you for reading and sharing this post. I hope you have some fond memories of your brother. May you find peace and beauty in your days. Best wishes.